A. Asbestos related
3. During an exploratory laparotomy on a 40-year-old woman, multiple gray-white nodules are incidentally discovered within the pelvic peritoneum. The histologic appearance of these nodules is shown in this picture. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
A. Adenomatoid tumor
B. Gliomatosis peritonei
C. Müllerian metaplasia
D. Solitary fibrous tumor
E. Well-differentiated papillary mesothelioma
4. Which of the following is true about peritoneal malignant mesothelioma?
A. Accounts for 50% of all malignant mesotheliomas
B. Epithelioid is the most frequent histologic type
C. Male-to-female ratio is 1:1
D. Results from malignant transformation of mesothelial hyperplasia
E. Unrelated to asbestos exposure in males
5. A 24-year-old man presents with ascites. Imaging studies reveal a multinodular tumor in the pelvic cavity, which is resected. Histologic examination reveals the neoplasm shown in these pictures. Neoplastic cells show cytoplasmic immunoreactivity for low molecular weight keratin, synaptophysin, vimentin, and desmin and nuclear expression of WT1 protein. Reverse PCR on paraffin-embedded tissue shows presence of t(11;22) involving the Ewing sarcoma (EWS) and Wilms tumor (WT1) genes. Which of the following is the diagnosis?
A. Ewing sarcoma
B. Intra-abdominal desmoplastic small round cell tumor
E. Wilms tumor
6. A patient with ascites undergoes paracentesis, which yields mucinous fluid with fragments of neoplastic glandular epithelium. Which of the following is the most usual source of this condition?
A. Adenocarcinoid of the appendix
B. Adenocarcinoma of the colon
C. Cystadenocarcinoma of the ovary
D. Mucinous tumor of the appendix
E. Signet-ring carcinoma of the bowel
7. This photomicrograph demonstrates the histologic appearance of a red-brown peritoneal lesion removed from a woman with cyclic abdominal pains. At the time of surgery, the patient would be most likely in which of the following hormonal status?